Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hanbok

                                    

Woohoo! My Hanbok is finished! A Hanbok is a Korean traditional dress. A long time ago, this is what Koreans wore when they got married, and maybe for some other special occassions. Now, some still wear it when they get married, women who are married can wear it to weddings, but mostly people wear it on Chuseok (Thanksgiving) and/or Sol Nal (New Year's). I looked through many books to find the colors I wanted, with Jeremy's help of course, and then told the lady what I wanted. She brought fabrics that she thought I would like, but I was only interested in one combo: navy and red. The stitching on the navy top part is of flowers and butterflies that are actually hand-stitched! Neat! The Hanbok has many layers: underneath you wear pants, then an underskirt that makes it poofy, then the red top skirt that has a tank top like top, then an under jacket in the same shape as the top shirt/jacket, then the navy colored shirt/jacket thing. Oh and to top it all off..... the official Hanbok shoes with the socks! I wasn't wearing the socks because apparently they can be difficult to get on and off. The lady also threw in a free clutch purse, a cute turtle pin (it means long life), and a tassle that hangs under the top piece. I was so excited to put it on! It felt like I was putting on a wedding dress again. :) To stand in it, you have to roll your shoulders forward and place your hands infront of you. Sorry mom, I can't have good posture wearing this. :D For me, it's the best piece of Korea that I will take back home and cherish forever. Thank you to the best husband for having such a wonderful idea for my birthday present!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome that Jeremy's b-day present for you is a hanbok. So will he get himself a traditional Korean outfit?

    ReplyDelete